Many of you are current or past subscribers to Anthem Blue Cross. Be it via an employer group plan or individual policies. Within the past few days Anthem Blue Cross was the target of a very sophisticated external cyber attack. Here is what is known at this point:
- The cyber attackers gained unauthorized access to Anthem’s Information Technology(IT) system and have obtained personal information from its current and former members, such as their names, birthdays, member health ID numbers/Social Security numbers, street addresses, email addresses and employment information, including income data.
- Anthem’s investigation to date indicates there is no evidence that banking, financial or medical information, such as claims, test results, or diagnostic codes were targeted.
- Anthem immediately contacted the FBI and also retained Mandiant, a leading cybersecurity firm, to provide incident response and security assessment services.
- Anthem is not aware of any fraud that has occurred as a result of this incident against its members, but all impacted members will be enrolled in identity repair services. Free credit monitoring will also be provided.
- Anthem has created a dedicated website www.AnthemFacts.com where you can access information such as FAQ and a phone number that members can call 1.877.263.7998
- Click here for a letter from Anthem to its members on this situation
Please don’t hesitate to contact me with any questions on this issue or any other items.